BIBLIOGRAPHY OF GAY AND LESBIAN HISTORY Compiled by Rictor Norton
INDEX: [General History]
[Art & Film]
[English Early Modern]
[Spain & Portugal]
[China, India and Japan]
[Colonial and Non-European]
Updated 14 May 2012
Pre-Modern Lesbian History
- Andreadis, Harriette
- Sappho in Early Modern England: Female Same-Sex Literary Erotics, 1550-1714, University of Chicago Press, June 2001
- Ballaster, Ros
- "`The Vices of Old Rome Revived': Representations of
Female Same-Sex Desire in Seventeenth- and Eighteenth-Century England",
in Suzanne Raitt (ed.), Volcanoes and Pearl-Divers: Lesbian Feminist
Studies. Onlywomen, 1993.
- Bennett, Judith M.
- "'Lesbian-like' and the social history of lesbianisms", Journal of the History of Sexuality, 9 (2000): 1-24.
- Binhammer, Katherine
- "The 'singular propensity' of sensibility's extremities: Female same-sex desire and the eroticization of pain in late-eighteenth-century British culture", GLQ: a journal of Lesbian and Gay Studies, 9:4 (2003), 471-98. Publisher: Duke University Press.
- Brooten, Bernadette J.
- Love Between Women: Early Christian Responses to Female Homoeroticism.
University of Chicago Press, 1997.
- Brooten, Bernadette J.
- "[Saint] Paul's views on the nature of women and female homoeroticism", in C. W. Atkinson, C. H. Buchanan and M. R. Miles (eds), Immaculate and Powerful: The Female in Sacred Image and Social Reality, Boston: Beacon Press, 1985, pp. 61-87.
Brown, Judith C.
- Immodest Acts: the Life of a Lesbian Nun
in Renaissance Italy. New York: Oxford University
Brown, Judith C.
- "Lesbian sexuality in medieval and early modern
Europe", in Duberman et al., Hidden from
History (1989), pp. 67-75.
- Casella, Eleanor
- "Bulldaggers and gentle ladies:Archaelogical approaches to female homosexuality in Convict Era Australia", in Archaelogies of Sexuality, London: Routledge,2000.
- Castle, Terry,
- "Matters not fit to be mentioned: Fielding's The Female Husband, ELH, 49 (1982): 602-22.
- "Sister-Sister: Jane Austen's Letters", London
Review of Books, 3 August 1995; report by Barry Hugill, "Sex
and sexuality: The new key to readings of `gay' Jane Austen",
Observer, 6 August 1995; Letters, London Review of
Books, 24 August 1995.
- Cheek, Pamela
- "The 'Mémoires secrets' and the Actress: Tribadism, Performance, and Property", in Jeremy D. Popkin and Bernadette Fort (eds), The "Mémoires secrets" and the Culture of Publicity in Eighteenth-Century France, Oxford: Voltaire Foundation, 1998.
- Chesser, Lucy
- "A woman who married three wives", Journal of Women's
History, 9(4) (Winter 1998).
- Clark, Anna
- "Anne Lister's construction of lesbian identity", Journal of
the History of Sexuality, 7(1) (1996), pp. 23-50.
- Craft-Fairchild, Catherine
- "Sexual and textual indeterminacy: Eighteenth-century English representations of sapphism", Journal of the History of Sexuality, 15:3 (2006), 408-31. Publisher: Chicago University Press; University of Texas Press.
- Crawford, P. and Mendelson, S.
- "Sexual identities in early modern England: the marriage of two women in 1680", Gender and History, 7/3 (1995), 362-77.
- Crompton, Louis
- "The myth of lesbian impunity: Capital laws from 1270
to 1791", in Licata and Petersen, The Gay Past (1985),
11-25 (orig. pub. 1980).
Davis, Madeline and Kennedy, Elizabeth Lapovsky
- "Oral history and the study of sexuality in the lesbian community: Buffalo, New York, 1940-1960",
orig. pub. in Feminist Studies, 12(1) (Spring 1986), pp. 7-26.
Repritned in Duberman et al., Hidden from History, 1989, pp. 426-40.
- DeJean, Joan
- Fictions of Sappho, 1546-1937. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1989.
- Dekker, Rudolf M. and van de Pol, Lotte C.
- The Tradition of Female
Transvestism in Early Modern Europe. London: Macmillan, 1989.
- Donoghue, Emma
- "Imagined more than women: Lesbians as hermaphrodites, 1671-1766", Women's History Review, 2 (1993): 199-216.
- Passions Between Women: British lesbian
culture 1668-1801. London: Scarlet Press, 1993.
- Dugaw, Dianne and Powell, Amanda
- "Sapphic self-fashioning in the Baroque era: Women's Petrarchan parody in English and Spanish", Studies in Eighteenth-Century Culture, 35 (2006), 127-60.
- Eriksson, Brigitte
- "A lesbian execution in Germany, 1721: The trial
records", in Licata and Petersen, The Gay Past (1985),
27-40 (orig. pub. 1980).
- Scotch Verdict: Miss Pirie and Miss
Woods v. Dame Cumming Gordon. London: Quartet
Books, 1985 (orig. pub. 1983).
- Faderman, Lillian
- "The morbidification of love between women by
nineteenth-century sexologists", Journal of Homosexuality 4
(1978), pp. 73-90.
- Fielding, Henry
- The Female Husband and Other Writings, ed. C. E. Jones. Liverpool: Liverpool University Press, 1960.
- Friedman, Geraldine
- "School for scandal: Sexuality, race, and national vice and virtue in Miss Marianne Woods and Miss Jane Pirie Against Lady Helen Cumming Gordon", Nineteenth-Century Contexts, 27:1 (2005), 53-76.
- Gowing, Laura
- "Hermaphrodites in Renaissance Europe", Journal of Women's History, 21(2): 146-152.
- Gowing, Laura
- "Lesbians and their like in early modern Europe", in Robert Aldrich (ed.), Gay Life and Culture: A World History, London, Thames & Hudson, 2006, pp. 125-43.
- Hamer, Emily
- Britannia's Glory: History of Twentieth-century
Lesbians. London: Cassell, 1995.
- Hunt, Margaret R.
- "The Sapphic Strain: English Lesbians in the Long Eighteenth Century", in Judith M. Bennett (ed.), Singlewomen in the European Past, 1250-1800, Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1998, pp. 270-96.
- Katz, Jonathan
- Miss Marianne Woods and Miss Jane Pirie against
Dame Helen Cumming Gordon. New York: Arno Press, 1975. Contains a
20-page compendium of "Authorities with Regard to the Practice of
Tribadism" compiled in 1811 for the famous Scottish libel case.
- Marcus, Sharon
- Between Women: Friendship, Desire, and Marriage in Victorian England (Princeton University Press, 2006)
- Mueller, Janel
- "Troping Utopia: Donne's brief for lesbianism", in J. G. Turner (ed.), Sexuality and Gender in Early Modern Europe: Institutions, Texts, Images. New York: Cambridge University Press, 1993, pp. 182-207.
- Murray, Jacqueline
- "Twice marginal and twice invisible: Lesbians in the Middle Ages" [incl. two translations of medieval lesbian-relevant texts], in
Handbook of Medieval Sexuality, ed. Vern L. Bullough and James A. Brundage (Garland Reference Library of the Humanities, Garland Publishing, 1996), pp. 191-222.
- Oram, Alison
- The Lesbian History Source Book: Love and Sex Between Women in Britain 1780-1970, London: Routledge, 2001.
- Oram, Alison
- "Telling stories about the Ladies of Llangollen: The construction of lesbian and feminist histories", in L. Ryan et al. (eds), Re-Presenting the Past: Women and History, London: Longman, 2001.
- Robinson, David Michael
- "Pleasant conversation in the seraglio: lesbianism, Platonic love, and Cavendish's blazing world", The Eighteenth Century [Lubbock], 44:2/3 (2003), 133-66.
- Rowanchild, Anira
- "'Peeping behind the curtain': the significance of classical texts in the sexual self-construction of Anne Lister", in Pearson, Richard (ed.), The Victorians and the Ancient World: archaeology and classicism in nineteenth-century culture (Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars, 2006), pp. 139-51.
- Rupp, Leila J.
- "'Imagine my surprise': women's relationships in mid-twentieth century America",
orig. pub. 1980. Reprinted in Duberman et al., Hidden from History, 1989, pp. 395-410.
- Sautman, Francesca Canade and Sheingorn, Pamela (eds)
- Same Sex Love and Desire Among Women in the Middle Ages. Palgrave, 2001
- Simons, Patricia
- "Lesbian (in)visibility in Italian Renaissance culture: Diana and other cases of 'donna con donna'",
Journal of Homosexuality, 27, 1/2 (1994): 81-122. (Also published Gay and Lesbian Studies in Art History, ed. Whitney Davis, Haworth Press, 1994, pp. 81-122.
- Stiebel, Arlene
- "Subversive sexuality: Masking the erotic in the poems of Katherine Philips and Aphra Behn", in C. Summers and T.-L. Pebwroth (eds), Renaissance Discourses of Desire. Columbia: University of Missouri Press, 1993, pp. 223-6.
- Toulalan, Sarah
- "Extraordinary satisfactions: lesbian visibility in seventeenth-century pornography in England", Gender & History, 15:1 (2003), 50-68.
- Traub, Valerie
- The Renaissance of Lesbianism in Early Modern England. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2002.
- Trumbach, Randolph
- "London's Sapphists: from three sexes to four
genders in the making of modern culture", in Julia Epstein and
Kristina Straub (eds), Body Guards: the Cultural Politics of
Gender Ambiguity, Routledge, 1991, pp. 112-41. Also reprinted in Gilbert Herdt (ed.), Third Sex, Third
Gender, New York: Zone Books, 1994, pp. 111-36.
- Velasco, Sherry
- The Lieutenant Nun: Transgenderism, Lesbian Desire and Catalina de Erauso. University of Texas Press, due December 2000.
- Vicinus, Martha
- Intimate Friends: Women Who Loved Women, 1778-1928 (University of Chicago Press, 2004). Review
- "`They wonder to which sex I belong': The historical
roots of the modern lesbian identity", Feminist Studies,
vol. 18, no. 3, Fall 1992, pp. 467-97 (a revision of her paper first published in
Denis Altman et al., Homosexuality, Which Homosexuality?). Reprinted
in Abelove et
al., The Lesbian and Gay Studies Reader (1993),
- Watt, Diane
- "Behaving like a man? Incest, Lesbian desire, and gender play in 'Yde et Olive' and its adaptations",
Comparative Literature, 50, 4 (Fall 1998): 265-85.
Go to Lesbian History: General
Go to Modern Lesbian History
Return to Bibliography of Gay and Lesbian History